Thursday, July 31, 2008

Virgin River Canyon, Utah

First, it is worth noting that this is not an easy walk. This is a long, moderately difficult hike that should not be attempted without the proper attitude. Which I, of course, did not have. The only thing that saved me was that Jonathan brought me a professional walking stave and he, and Jenny, and Kelly, and Martin carried all my food and water. That allowed me to concentrate on putting one sore foot in front of the other and stiffling my cries.

Second, this is not a trip for solitude. Many, many people hike this canyon each day and the take-out is at Sinawava. (Valerie called it the back-door to Disneyworld.) Let's just say that one is less likely to be trampled at a Who concert. This is a very unpleasant feature of Zion National Park and summers there are to be avoided.

All that being said, this is one of the most beautiful trips I have ever done. The walls are soaring, the flora is verdant, the river is refreshing. The hiking is never boring. Around every corner is a sight more beautiful than the last. The six or eight miles from the mouth of Deep Creek down to Orderville Canyon are spectacular. This is a place that one must see to believe. If you get the opportunity, and you are modestly fit and not too whiny--at least no whinier than I am--you have got to do this hike.

1 comment:

Jess and Jen said...

Dude, I had no idea you were a blogger...good work. So, you want to sell in Escalante and commute?

I like the xeriscape on the house. We've experimented a bit with that in our yard and enjoy the results. I also harvest rainwater, which KSL recently told me on the news was illegal.